Saturday, June 4, 2011

 

Auspicious Beginning!

Rebecca and I are house-sitting for Kathy and Virgil. They live on a beautiful lake in the hills outside of Monroe. Rebecca got up early to see them off on their trip to Aruba while I slept in. We switched places, and I went downstairs to make breakfast.

I took my omelet out on the deck and sat down to eat and soak in the view of the lake. Kathy and Virgil have a wonderfully landscaped and decorated yard leading down to the lake. While waiting for them last night, Rebecca and I sat on one of the little terraces to enjoy the view. Her view was partially obscured by a rather large yard sculpture of a firefly. (She says "firefly; I say "lightnin' bug.")

Flash forward to my breakfast a few minutes ago. I took the first bite of omelet and looked over to the right. Holy shit! Perched on the firefly sculpture was a red-tailed hawk! Looking straight at me.

Sitting very still (and doing nothing!), I observed him for about three or four minutes. Then, I turned to my food, wondering if the bird would fly away. It didn't. It stayed there for another five minutes or so until a crow interrupted the vigil of the hawk, which spun around and flapped away.

Pulpit rock

It seems to me this sighting is a very auspicious beginning for a wonder-filled week!

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]