Sunday, June 12, 2011

 

Summer Meditation Challenge! (Days 10-12)

Friday, June 10th
The sit for Friday was pretty straight-forward. 45 minutes of following the breath. I sat early enough in the day to be fully awake.

Saturday, June 11th
"Nothing concentrates the mind like pain." I read this somewhere, probably in a cheap action-adventure-spy novel.

My friend visited me late Saturday afternoon to bring me some Darvocet. The 1000mg of Tylenol just weren't handling the pain from the abscessed tooth I've been dealing with (out of town and away from my dentist) all week. I told him that I hadn't actually meditated yet that day, but that's not entirely true. Enroute Wilmington from Monroe, the pain was so intense that I spent most of the trip in following my breath to deal with the pain. How bad was it? Well, check out the possibilities:



It came in waves, from 6.0 to 9.5 on the scale above. I didn't think of it as meditation, but that's exactly what it was. Suffice it to say that I didn't actually sit on my cushion on Saturday!

Sunday, June 12th.
Well, today was a regular Sunday sitting at Angelika's house. Lots of folks there, nine, to be exact. It was a good sit. Stayed in concentration pretty much the entire 45 minutes, with only the occasional distracted thought stream, usually of very short duration.

I returned home to more intense pain and finally popped the Darvocets. Just taking the edge off. I don't know what's frustrating me more, the funky tooth or my ongoing investigation of dharma texts related to meditation. So many lineages, so many teachers, so many stories about the "one, true teaching" about meditation and liberation. Sheesh.

One of these two frustrations will be dealt with tomorrow; I'm going to the dentist first thing.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]